- While Nicola Sturgeon has said she would back a “progressive alliance” to put Labour into power, speaking in Glasgow, Jeremy Corbyn ruled out any such coalition, attacking the SNP’s “obsession” with an “unwanted and unnecessary” second independence referendum.
- Nicola Sturgeon has claimed Theresa May will be forced to U-turn on granting permission for a second independence referendum if the SNP wins the general election in Scotland.
- The Scottish Greens have published their manifesto, Our Future is Green.
INDEPENDENCE / BREXIT
- Leaders of Scotland’s main pro-UK parties insist they would block any attempt to stage a second independence vote.
- Home Secretary Amber Rudd has insisted the UK wants to maintain a “deep and special partnership” with the EU after Brexit.
- Holyrood’s Education committee has been told Scotland’s schools could be facing a leadership crisis because the “stresses and demands” of being a headteacher means senior staff do not want the job.
- The dualling of the A9, one of Scotland’s largest ever projects, could become a “huge waste of money” because it is not future-proofed for the self-driving and electric vehicles which will become its main traffic.
- The University of Glasgow has sold £3 million worth of shares in a US biotechnology company headed by one of its graduates.
- The value of aircraft production to the UK in the first four months of 2017 is estimated at £8 billion according to ADS, the industry’s trade body.
ENVIRONMENT & ENERGY
- New analysis by anti-fracking campaigners claims fracking in Scotland could pose “serious risks” to the health of workers. This comes as 40,000 objections are expected to be lodged with the Scottish Government before its public consultation on fracking comes to an end on 31 May.
- Home secretary Amber Rudd has denied she suggested an encryption ban, and said the government was making “good progress” with firms using end-to-end encryption.
- Emojipedia’s new trends tool allows users to track which icons are being commonly used. The tool pulls data from Google trends to show graphs going back five years.
- In a joint programme between Channel Four and Sky News this evening, Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn will separately face Jeremy Paxman and an audience for 45 minutes each.
- The SNP will launch their General Election manifesto on Tuesday.
- A 90-minute debate between 6 parties (SNP, Plaid, Green, UKIP, Lib Dem, Conservative, Labour) will take place on Wednesday on BBC one.
- On Friday, the Conservative and Labour contenders for PM will appear on a Question Time leaders’ special on BBC One.
- Pagoda Porter Novelli’s General Election event takes place at the Hub on Wednesday 31 May at 6pm.