- The latest Panelbase poll for The Sunday Times has found that 52% of voters in Scotland believe the SNP would have the right to hold another referendum on independence should the party win more than half of Scottish seats in the upcoming General Election.
- Sir Richard Branson has said that a hard Brexit would be a “disaster” for the UK and that it could warrant a second referendum on EU membership.
- Speaking at the STUC last week, Kezia Dugdale warned that a Brexit without a deal is ‘as damaging as independence’.
- Scottish Labour Party is in danger of losing its hold on Scotland’s largest city.
- Theresa May has made her first campaign visit to Scotland ahead of June’s snap General Election. Mrs May urged supporters in Crathes, Aberdeenshire, to vote for her to “strengthen the Union”.
- Broadcaster STV has confirmed that Scotland’s political leaders are to take part in a live televised debate on 24 May.
- The Scottish Conservative spokesperson on tourism and small business, Rachael Hamilton, has announced her candidacy for the Ettrick, Roxburgh & Selkirkshire by-election taking place on Thursday 8th As a regional list MSP, Hamilton must resign to challenge for the constituency seat.
- Alastair Darling will today argue that only Labour has a record of reducing poverty in government, as he joins the campaign to preserve Labour’s only Westminster seat in Scotland.
- Holyrood’s justice committee has backed, in principle, the bill that will integrate railway policing north of the border into Police Scotland.
- Glasgow’s Prestwick Airport has set out its aim to be returned to private ownership within five years.
- The University of St Andrews has risen to its highest ever ranking in the online 2018 Complete University Guide, securing third place.
- Holyrood’s social security minister has announced that private companies will not carry out assessments for Scotland’s newly-devolved benefits system.
- The Royal Bank of Scotland, 72% owned by the UK government, has reported its first quarterly profit since the third quarter of 2015.
- MPs on Westminster’s Home Affairs Select Committee have accused social media giants of a “shameful” failure to tackle online terrorist propaganda and hate speech.
ENVIRONMENT & ENERGY
- The Scottish Fishermen’s Federation has called on the Scottish Government to abandon the EU Common Fisheries Policy after Brexit.
- The first major decommissioning project in the North Sea has been completed with the removal of the Brent Delta platform from its legs.
- Voters will take to the polls on Thursday 4 May in Scottish council elections and local government and mayoral elections in England and Wales.