Waitrose has announced the frontrunners of the Good Food Guide Readers’ Restaurant of the Year Awards 2016.
With thousands of entries already received from across the UK, and the competition at its midway point, the retailer has revealed a snapshot of the most popular restaurants so far.
Elizabeth Carter, Editor of the Waitrose Good Food Guide, said "Once again our readers have come up trumps, nominating their favourite independent restaurants with enormous enthusiasm and in such detail.
“I’m excited by the selection at this halfway stage and, as always, impressed by the sheer variety of owner-run eating places. From simple cafes and pubs to smart destination restaurants, we can’t wait to find out who the overall winners will be later in the year.
"There's still time to get involved with voting open until 12th May. Many winning restaurants report an increase in bookings, takings and staff morale as a result of an award from the Good Food Guide, so it's a great way to support your local eatery."
At this halfway stage there are four entries topping the Scottish leader board, including last year’s winner:
- Mark Greenaway, Edinburgh
- Mountain Cafe, Aviemore
- Cail Bruich, Glasgow
- Birch Tree, Delny (last year’s Scottish winner)
To take part in the awards, restaurants can encourage their diners to nominate them online, at www.thegoodfoodguide.co.uk/feedback, or by making official postcards available in their restaurants during the nomination period – 2 March until 11 May 2015.
Time is running out to nominate your favourite eatery, with entries closing on 12 May. The Scottish winner, along with the nine other regional winners and the overall winner of the Waitrose Good Food Guide Reader’s Restaurant of the Year 2016, will be announced in July 2015.
Contact: Moray Clark, Pagoda PR (0131 556 0770/ Moray.Clark@pagodapr.com)
Notes for editors
- Full eligibility criteria for the awards can be found at www.thegoodfoodguide.co.uk/awards
- Winners are decided based on a combination of the number of public nominations received, alongside the restaurant being deemed to be of the Good Food Guide standard by the judges.
- Winners of the Readers’ Restaurant of the Year awards will go on to feature in the 2016 edition of The Waitrose Good Food Guide which will be published in September 2015.
- Restaurants wishing to participate can download and print nomination postcards to give to their diners atwww.thegoodfoodguide.co.uk/awards. Please note: all entries are carefully checked and any unusual or block nominations will be discounted. Each entry must be individually franked or stamped to qualify.